Thanksgiving & The Simple Life
Thanksgiving dinner turned out well, if I do say so myself. The turkey
was pretty succulent, the side dishes were good, and, most importantly,
the gravy was good. I'm a stickler about gravy, as it is a simple thing,
but if it is made poorly, it almost ruins a meal. And I'm almost as
persnickety about mashed potatoes, as I can't abide bad mashed taters.
The fact that the gravy and spuds turned out well was very satisfying.
The dinner took a couple of days to make, if you count the baking of
pies the day before. As I sat down at the table after making a toast to
my guests and family, I said, "this is going to be a sweet 20 minutes".
It was best to acknowledge the brevity of the meal after the length of
its preparation, and just get it out of the way. The meal was good, and
it fortified me for the cleaning up afterward.
By the way, "Trading Places" is a great post-Thanksgiving dinner movie.
Tonight I'm watching the second episode of "The Simple Life", and it's
actually making me angry. I hope the dairy farmer who was forced to fire
the Useless Twins is well remunerated for all of the milk they wasted
and contaminated, and all of the complaints and possible lawsuits they
may have exposed him to. Of course, he agreed to be on the show, and to
hire the UT, so I guess it's partly his fault, but the producers
undoubtedly hard-sold and deceived him about what he would actually be
dealing with. However, I hope that his experience helps him and others
realize that they should not agree to be on reality TV shows. Now if I
could just agree to stop /watching/ them...